At the end of 2022 the news was released that specialized exclusively in Google was going to unify two great products of data analysis for companies, this way Data Studio became Looker Studio and it is still a free tool with the same functions, it also has LookerStudio Pro, an improved paid version.
Now yes, with this information on the table, in the following post we want to help you take your first steps in Looker Studio, to know much more about the application with this quick start guide. From creating a first report, how to add data and graphics in a template, to sharing files and data sources with other people.
As a first step, the most important thing is to know how I can start my report. We will see that there are two main options: edit a template or create it from scratch.
When log in to Looker Studio, you will see the main web page with the reports tab selected, and all reports in template format to make it easier for you to create this first document or start with a blank canvas. The reports that have been shared with us will also appear and we can add our data in Looker Studio.
We must place a lot of emphasis on the upper right area, which is where we find everything that we have mentioned above. Although we recommend that you use a template called ?Walkthrough Report?, that It will help us create the template and teach us in a more practical way how to use the tool.
If you have a version LookerStudio Pro the interface will be very similar, so this blog post can help you too.
1. Looker Studio Templates
As we have seen previously, when starting with a project we will find a tutorial template that explains how the application works and all the News from Looker Studio, including new collaboration features. We will see this template and many others by default at the start of the web, in the upper central area.
Within the template gallery other fonts are available such as Google Search Console, Google Ads overview or Youtube Channel Report, which can be used to complement tasks within Looker Studio. Here it is recommended, before starting to collect information, connect all data sources that you need to work, since it will be easier if we have the 100% app synchronized before getting down to work with the edition.
Once we open Looker Studio on our computer, we can access a new templates page where they'll be avalaible all the templates that the tool offers us by default, because if we try to find a template outside of specialized exclusively in Google, it will be quite difficult for us and insecure against malware or viruses that can enter our database. In any case, depending on the needs of each company, it is possible to create templates own so that the presentation and final work is as professional, personal and complete as possible.
2. Connect a data source
To connect to your data in Looker Studio you need two components: the connectors, which link Looker Studio with your underlying data; and the data sources, which are the result of this connection, what is created. In other words, data sources use connectors to extract information from a specific platform or product.
When you create a report in Looker Studio, you may add one data source you already have or create a new one to add it. Although it may seem complicated, it is an easy and intuitive task to perform.
So, to connect a data source we must:
- A. connect to data allows you to create a data source from scratch.
- b. My data sources Allows you to add a data source that you already have.
Once you choose between create a data source from scratch or add one already createdYou already have much of the work done. It is important to note that when we have this step activated the first time, it will not be necessary to log in every time we enter the Looker Studio page. just by going to Data source In the upper central area, we can see and edit the information as many times as necessary.
3. Choose metrics
There are different types of metrics in Looker Studio: the optional, which allow users to choose the metrics to display on charts and tables; and those of comparison, which compare the data in each row to the total and cumulative values in the charts.
To choose between one of them, we can do it from a template on the data source that we want and edit it from there or if we already have a report created, we can directly edit it.
- Edit the report.
- Select or add a graphic.
- On the right, in the properties panel, select the tab SETTING.
- Under Metrics, active optional metrics.
- click on +Add metric or drag the metric from the panel Available fields.
- Click on Edit the report.
- We select the graphic that we like.
- On the right, we will see the properties panel.
- We select the metric and a pencil icon will appear to edit it.
- We click on the menu comparison calculation and select the combination you want.
4. How to edit a report in Looker Studio?
To edit a report, it will not take us more than 4 or 5 steps, and as always specialized exclusively in Google It makes the task easier for us by having a fairly intuitive tool.
We logged in Looker Studio
Then it will be our turn add graphs, metrics and all the contents What we are interested in changing or adding:
- Add charts to a report
- Add fields to a chart
- Replace fields in a chart
- Remove fields from a chart
- snap to grid
- Change chart type
- Edit the properties of a chart
- Add other components to a report
5. Adding Report Filters
Filters are used to narrow down the data that is displayed to report readers, thus highlighting what is most important. Filters can be applied to:
5.1 How to add filters to a chart
- We open the report to edit.
- We select the graphics that we are interested in filtering, we can also filter a group of charts or controls.
- In the properties panel, we select the tab Setting.
- We click on +Add a filter.
- Later, create filter and we assign a name to it to be able to save it.
- Include or Exclude, include filters only include data that matches the expression you provide. Exclude filters remove all data that matches the expression.
- We select the graph or metric that we are interested in filtering.
- We select the comparison operator (is equal to, contains, greater than... etc.)
- We indicate a comparison value for the expression.
- AND WE SAVE!
5.2 How to add filters to an entire report or to a page
To add filters to an entire report, in the menus, select File > Report Settings.
To add filters to a page, in the menus, select Page > Current Page Settings.
- In the properties panel on the right, click +Add a filter.
- Set up the filter by following the instructions above.
- Edit your report.
- Selects the chart or control that has the filter. You can also use the page setup menus or filter themes described above.
- In the properties panel, select the tab Setting.
- click on Edit.
6. How to Share reports in Looker Studio?
You can share your reports with other users by sending them an email invitation to visit Looker Studio. You can also add individual users or Google groups, and share items more broadly without having to be a Google Workspace user.
6.1 How to share a report
- Sign in to Looker Studio.
- View or edit the report you want to share.
- In the top right, click Share. The dialog box will appear share with others.
You can also do it directly from the Reports page. To do this, find the report you want to share, and on the right, click Further. Then click Share.
6.2 Sharing with specific users and groups
- Open the dialog share with others.
- In add users, enter the names or email addresses of the users you want to share with. You can also share it with Google Groups.
- Select the access permission you want to give to the users and groups you have specified:
- You can edit: users can edit the resource and share it with other users.
- Can see: users can view the resource, but cannot edit it or share it with other users.
- To assign different permissions to different users, click Manage access.
- By default, users you invite receive an email with a link to the item you've shared with them. Uncheck notify users so that that email is not sent.
- click on Send.
6.3 Sharing with specific users and groups
To share your reports with others, they must have a Google account. If you want to share reports with non-Google accounts, you have several options:
- Ask the person you want to share the report with if they have a Google account with which you can share the content. Could be:
- A personal account ending in @gmail.com.
- A work or school account that user uses to use Google products like Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, or Slides.
- If the user you want to share the report with doesn't have a Google account, they'll need to sign up for one. You can do it in https://accounts.google.com/signupwithoutgmail.
- Use another method to share: you can share via link or send a PDF file by email.